1917

Aerial photograph of Camp Randall Stadium in the 1920s

The 40 rows of bleachers, seating close to 10,000 fans, were ready in time for the 1917 opener against Beloit. The first section of seating was built on the hill along Breese Terrace. The hill was used as the foundation for the bleacher section on the west side of the playing surface. Because only 7,500 of the hillside seats were finished in time for the start of the season, and partly to provide dressing facilities, the grandstand section was moved from the south side of the old field to the east side of the new field, adding another 3,000 seats.