May 1, 1861

Aerial photograph circa 1896 of Camp Randall Stadium

In the early days of the state of Wisconsin, the 50-acre plot bounded by University Avenue, Breese Terrace, Monroe Street and North Randall was owned by the Wisconsin State Agricultural Society. State Fairs, races, and other community events were held where the present day stadium rests. After the Civil War began escalating, the society donated the land to the state to use as a training ground for troops. Soldiers first moved into the area on May 1, 1861.